Over the past year and a half, our free herbal first aid station has remained active and steady, and I want to take some time to write a little update, along with a request for donations…
Every Monday morning, I load up my bicycle and trailer with supplies and head downtown to work alongside Orlando’s Food Not Bombs. Upon arrival, I am met by friends willing to help me set up and friends hoping to meet their own wellness needs. We immediately set up warm herbal foot soaks. While those recipients are relaxing, we address other needs, like wound care, chronic health problems, etc. Sometimes a group of us just chat about life. After the foot soaks expire, I go to work on my friends’ feet. By the time this is over, Food Not Bombs is about ready to serve a delicious spread of nutritious food. Throughout the meal, there are other minor medical needs addressed, teas and salves distributed, and interesting conversations to be had. Some weeks are overwhelmingly busy, and others feel more laid back.
I feel encouraged to continue the project. I am grateful to be surrounded by people I deeply appreciate; both the folks of Food Not Bombs, and the folks on the street who exhibit the heart of community and compassion as they care for each other in the midst of homelessness, and all the struggles that can entail.
I am also grateful to the local herbal community, as well as friends from far-off places, for all of your support, both financially and with donations of medicine. With every herbal success, I feel a rush of excitement and awe. I continue to be inspired and intrigued by the relationship between herbal medicine and marginalized communities.
I am at a point where I would like to reach out and ask for more donations, so that the project can thrive…
We are in need of:
- Money for distribution supplies, wound care supplies, and ingredients for herbal preparations. To donate money, please contact us or visit the webpage, where you will find a donate button through Paypal. Small donations go a long way!
- Socks We go through socks like crazy. Thick socks of good quality are preferred and appreciated! Used is fine, as long as they have been washed.
- Tea formulas for stress management, sleep aid, digestive support, immune support, and general nourishment. We prefer the herbs in tea bags. But loose leaf is fine too.
- Salves for sore muscles, anti-fungus, and all-purpose. Please make the salves fairly hard, so they do not melt in warm temperatures and leak in people’s bags. I distribute salves in chap-stick tubes, and if you are able to donate them in this form, that is awesome. If not, that’s okay too.
- Fire Cider
- Small containers for distribution We can put to use empty tincture bottles, supplement bottles, salve containers, etc.
With herbal donations, please label your medicine with all ingredients.
If you are interested in donating medicine and/or have questions, please contact us.
Also, Food Not Bombs is always happy to have more volunteers, so if you’d like to lend a helping hand, come on out!